Fremantle Ports Maritime Day 2014 promises to be the biggest ever with a number of ships and boats alongside at Victoria Quay, a huge range of displays from the Royal Australian Navy and the maritime industry, an historic photo display of the port during wartime and a yacht race in the harbour.
The annual expo celebrates the maritime industry and Fremantle Port, and features lots of displays about maritime education and careers, children’s activities and musical entertainment for all ages.
This year’s program is full of interest with water-based and harbour side attractions including:
- Australian and other naval ships on show
- opportunities to go aboard a Svitzer tug
- Fremantle Harbour boat rides
- maritime displays and careers information in and around Victoria Quay’s historic B Shed
- extensive photographic display on port wartime themes
- Inner Harbour Classic Yacht Race in the harbour
- bands and other entertainment
- kids activities
- annual Navy versus Fremantle Ports cook off
- E Shed Markets and B Shed Café open
- more than 20 food stalls
- Maritime Museum open for gold coin entry.
This year’s displays from the Navy will include a ship, inflatable boat manoeuvring demonstrations, man overboard recovery and boarding party demonstrations, knot-tying lessons, quad bike display, dive kit
demonstrations, explosive ordinance system truck and bomb disposal display, fire fighting demonstration, life-raft demonstrations, careers information, submarine display and face painting.
Fremantle Ports’ archivist is assembling a fascinating display of photos taken at the port when Australia was at war over the decades.
1940 troop departure at Fremantle Port – see the historic wartime photo display
There will be lots of activity along the wharf and on the harbour with quay side Svitzer tug tours, free harbour rides and the Fremantle Harbour Classic Yacht race (from 1pm).
So bring the family for the free musical entertainment and sample fantastic food from the port vs Navy cook-off for a gold coin donation.
Maritime Day is sponsored by Fremantle Ports, the Company of Master Mariners of Australia, the Royal Australian Navy, Svitzer, the Department of Transport Marine Safety, TAMS Group and Rydges’ Esplanade Hotel Fremantle.