Did you know that you are able to defer paying your GST when importing goods into Australia?
That’s right – the deferred GST (DGST) scheme allows you, as an importer, to defer payment of GST on all taxable importations into Australia.
To be eligible to participate in the deferred GST scheme you must:
- have an ABN
- be registered for GST (you can register for GST and apply for an ABN on the one form if you don’t already have an ABN)
- lodge your activity statements online
- lodge your activity statements monthly (if you are lodging quarterly, you can elect to lodge monthly)
- make your activity statement payments electronically.
Additionally, you may not be eligible if:
- you are not up to date with your tax returns or payments – this includes members of GST groups, branches and joint ventures (see GST group members and representatives)
- you or anyone relevant to the application has, in the past three years, been convicted or penalised by a court for specific offences.
All information supplied above is courtesy of the ATO website.