The CMA CGM Kerguelen, named after the 18th-century French navigator Yves-Joseph de Kerguelen de Trémarec, this container ship is the third largest container carrier in the world.
There are some amazing facts floating around on this vessel:
- As long as five jumbo jets.
- Can carry the weight of 200,000 transit vans.
- Is the UK’s largest containership (it was built in South Korea for USD150m – but is registered in the UK).
- The Kerguelen can carry 17,722 twenty foot containers.
- The vessel can hold 10 (non-crew) passengers.
- A total of five cabins on the Kerguelen have been set aside for tourists at a cost of €120 a night – (a pricey holiday for anyone who stays for the entirety of the average 77-day voyage).
- The vessel flies the UK flag because of the “safety and reliability” of the country’s shipping industry.
Do you have an amazing fact on the CMA CGM Kerguelen that we’ve missed? Contact us today.