Chinese New Year is a fantastic time of the year. It’s full of colour, excitement and tradition. It is the time to eat, celebrate, cleanse your house, exchange gifts and watch the fireworks.
But for the shipping industry it can be an extremely difficult time. With most suppliers, customs authorities and shipping lines closing for the holiday, now is the time to start getting prepared for Chinese New Year 2020. Space also begins to become tight for all ports ex China around the last few weeks of January prior to this break.
This holiday falls on the 25th January and heralds in the Year of the Rat.
In order to ensure that you are prepared for this Chinese New Year, please take note of the following:
- Any ordering from overseas suppliers should be done ASAP
- Suppliers should be booking vessels with agents early to avoid disappointment
- Ask suppliers to arrange their bookings with the agents / customs clearance before the holidays
- If you have any shipments that are due to arrive into Australia during this holiday time, please make sure that you have all the correct documentation prior to your supplier going on break
- Also ensure that you have your telex releases / original bills of lading prior to this time
Please find following the dates in which our agents will be CLOSED during this time:
- China: Closed 24-30 Jan
- Hong Kong: Closed 25-28 Jan
- Malaysia: Closed 25-27 Jan
- Indonesia: Closed 25 Jan
- Taiwan: Closed 23-29 Jan
Find out how Chinese New Year can affect you by heading here.