Last week the Customs Brokers and Forwarders Council of Australia (CBFCA) CEO, Paul Damkjaer participated in the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources (the department), Biosecurity Imports Levy Workshop, where the department presented to industry latest information on the new proposed import levy planned for implementation 1 July 2019.
In the presentation the department proposed that the levy will:
- be expanded to apply to all commercial vessels, and apply to all containers and cargo that is unloaded at an Australian port.
- The expanded levy base will result in a reduction in levy rates for bulk cargo.
- It is also proposed that the levy be imposed on vessel owners, operators and their agents.
Proposed new Levy Rate
- Containers $ 10.0 per Twenty Foot Equivalent Unit (TEU)
- Break bulk cargo $1 per metric tonne
- Bulk cargo $0.50 per metric tonne
- Commercial vessels $0.027 per volumetric ton of vessel gross tonnage.